The roof is back on the building, that staff is doing the major work of cleaning after much rainfall, and the kids are moving back in. This morning at church the people prayed a renewed dedication over the facility for raising godly children who whether for death or financial reasons do not have parents there to do so.
Although I am marking this project complete, there are still some minor tasks that will need to be done, but nothing to prevent the kids’ living there. With a tin roof, we will obviously have to use silicone caulk and fill in any leaky spots. We will also have to finish the facing on the wall around the two new rows of brick, so that it matches the building. All in all, though, I am very thankful that this project has been completed before I leave the country on Tuesday morning. Thank you once again to everyone who gave, and stay tuned in the future for more opportunities to get involved.
The wood for the next phase of work has been delivered and the workers are already getting to it. Check out these cute pics of the kids helping move the wood planks from where the truck delivered them to the work site.
We have finished with Phase 1 of the project and paid the workers for the work so far. The material costs exceeded estimates as the mason underestimated the number of blocks required and this meant we also had to get more sand for the cement mix than originally expected, which has to be trucked in from down the mountain. We ended up spending $1097 on materials and $700 for the 10 days of work. We are now ready to begin Phase 2 as soon as enough funds come in to buy materials. Thank you to everyone who has helped so far.
For those of you asking what the plan for rebuilding the roof is, here it is. I will do my best to keep this post updated with the latest pics, so please check back.
The total estimated cost including 18 days of labor is $4696.88. Because this is a lot higher than we had hoped it would be immediately after the storm, we have broken the project down into three phases to allow work to begin here on the ground on one phase, while funds are being raised for the next. Here is the cost breakdown:
- PHASE 1: Adding two rows of block to the walls and cementing new rebar in to attach the planks onto the building. With the existing wall having been filled and finished, rebar cannot be added without adding more block. Estimated material cost for phase 2 is $769.38. (This phase is fully funded.)
- PHASE 2: Building the Wooden Frame and Rafters. Estimated material cost for phase 2 is $1842.50
- PHASE 3: Put on the tin sheeting and finishing the build. Estimated material costs for phase 3 are $825.
- WORKERS: We will be paying 4 workers daily with an estimate of 18 working days. This would cost $1,260.
Here are some pics of the progress so far:
If you would like more information about this project contact Haiti Director, Dave Young (email@example.com) or myself (firstname.lastname@example.org). If you would like to donate to the next phase of work, you can click the ‘Donate’ tab above. Please let us know that the donation is for Orphanage Roof Rebuild